Hemorrhoids, also called piles, are a common affliction in which veins in the anus or rectum become swollen, inflamed, and painful. The primary symptom is internal bleeding, which eventually leads to swelling and pain.
Many people who suffer from hemorrhoids often experience a burning sensation when a stool passes through the anus. While this is not cause for alarm, it can be quite uncomfortable and embarrassing.
The most recommended food to take when you are suffering from hemorrhoids are foods high in fiber and water content. Generally, fruits and vegetables are best food to ease hemorrhoids. Water should also be consumed because it can alleviate hemorrhoids.
High fiber foods good for hemorrhoids
We all know that high fiber diets can help us lose weight and prevent illness. The idea is that fiber helps us keep regular, and that regularity prevents illness. The fiber in these foods can also improve bowel regularity, reduce constipation and help hemorrhoids.
High fiber foods are good for easing hemorrhoids because they add bulk to your digestive tract, which can prevent constipation. Eating high fiber foods helps your body feeds on a healthy diet and relieves you from the pain of hemorrhoids.
High fiber foods include:
- Whole grains- Eating a diet rich in whole grains can prevent some types of hemorrhoids. Apart from being a good source of fiber, whole grains such as wheat, corn, and oats also contain water-soluble fiber, a type of fiber that dissolves in water.
- Fresh fruits- Fresh fruits are good for your hemorrhoids by helping to reduce blood pressure and inflammation in your stomach. Fresh fruits, such as berries, deep-colored fruits like kiwi and mangoes, and citrus fruits like oranges, are also high in vitamin C, which can help reduce inflammation of the rectal tissues.
- Legumes- Legumes are good for hemorrhoids. They contain lots of fiber, which can help alleviate the symptoms. Legumes help hemorrhoids by providing dietary fiber, which absorbs water and helps soften stool.
- Nuts- Nuts contain a lot of fiber, which helps to add bulk to stool, easing bowel movements. They also assist in cleaning the intestines. This means that nuts help with hemorrhoids by making stools softer and easier to pass and cleans the intestines.
Food with high water content for hemorrhoids
Food with a high water content is recommended for a diet aimed at preventing hemorrhoids. You should consume food with high water content to prevent constipation and reduce the discomfort of hemorrhoids.
There are some specific foods that will help you in this matter, they are:
- Vegetables- Vegetables such as cucumbers, cabbage, lettuce, celery, peppers, tomatoes, and carrots are a rich source of water. They are also high in fiber, which helps your body to stay regular.
- Fruits- Fruit is another way to take in high levels of water without adding calories. Some of these fruits include oranges, apples, and watermelons.
- Soups- Soups are a great way to consume high water content food, like chicken noodle soup.
- Water- Be sure to drink lots of water to stay hydrated and relieve the pain of hemorrhoids. Staying hydrated is one of the most important things you can do to prevent hemorrhoids. This involves drinking at least 72 ounces of water every day.
What foods to avoid with hemorrhoids?
Many foods can aggravate hemorrhoids, but the ones that are most commonly eaten by people with this problem are the ones that are high in fat and sodium. You should also avoid fried foods or greasy foods which can irritate hemorrhoids.
The following food should also be avoided to avoid aggravation of your hemorrhoids:
- Coffee- The coffee you drink is likely loaded with caffeine, which can be bad for your health in many ways. Caffeine can make hemorrhoids worse by causing constipation, so avoiding coffee is a good first step to take if you’re suffering from this ailment.
- Pimento- Pimento is high in vitamin K, which may be beneficial for people with blood clotting. On the other hand, eating too much pimento can be bad for you. It may cause bleeding and can worsen your hemorrhoids.
- Alcohol- Alcohol is bad for hemorrhoids, because it contains chemicals like acetaldehyde, which can cause irritation and inflammation. Alcohol can aggravate hemorrhoids. Alcohol can also cause dehydration, which can make hemorrhoids worse.
- Pickles- Eating too many pickles may cause diarrhea, which can lead to hemorrhoids.
- Spicy food- Eating spicy foods can irritate your hemorrhoids, making them red, swollen and painful.